Monday 4 July 2011

Mindy's Monday s update

photo was taken on Sunday whilst she was enjoyed a pain free snooze in the garden with Ian....

Well...
We had a quiet night last night, she went until 11pm before needing another injection, I'm getting good, poor Mindy turns herself inside out to get away from Ian, who was rather worried at hurting her whilst holding her as you can imagine, but we got the job done and I didn't "prick" myself this time!! and then she slept through until 7am, by my side on the airbed on the lounge floor, well there was no way I was going to crate her if this was to be her last night with us.
we walked around the garden before we left Ian carrying her, she showed so much interest int eh birds and flies and we popped her on the floor where she had a long wee (well it had been 24 hours since her last wee, yes 24 hours, but I am told that is normalish because of the drugs they are on) they was an improvement of the movement she had in her back left leg which the day before she couldn't place at all, meaning that if it was out at an odd angle, she would right it her self, well that didn't happen yesterday but this morning she would place it on occasions, her tail wagging was brilliant...bless her...

Anyway we got to Exeter for our 11 am appointment with Peter Attenbourgh. He wasn't worried about her pelvis x-rays, but was worried about Mindy, he showed lots of care with her as he handled her and said he needed to put a dye into her Spinal nerve and see were the narrowing was...so that's what he did, we went to Darts Farm shop (thanks to Janet for suggesting it, a place where we could let the dogs out for a wee etc, without causing a scene and we could go and get a coffee turn right out of Exeter on the Exmouth road.)
We had just finished walking the dogs and had had a coffee, when Peter phoned and spoke to Ian and explained to him what the problem was, basically a herniated or slipped disc, that the only option was to operate and remove the debris from the disc or for her to be put to sleep, we had already spoken to Peter about how we felt re..quality of life and neither Ian or I wanted her with a set of wheels on, w e where fine about her having 3 legs as long as she had movement in her other legs, it just wouldn't be the Mindy with wheels, we know here she couldn't chase birds or go hunting these things are her top fun things, closely followed by agility with me!
So they operated whist she was still under, I cant remember the correct terminology for the procedure, but will ask them to spell it out tomorrow morning, anyway by the time we drove into the drive they phoned to say she was out and awake, well actually what they said she was out and up on her feet, fighting the sedative and she had tried to escape the crate when the vet nurse opened it to check on her, so she took her out and cuddled her on her lap till she feel asleep, she had been given a steroid injection to stop the swelling around the area.......

They will ring us tomorrow to tell us how she is doing and let us know when she can be collected...

So thanks again for all your thoughts and messages and again sorry if I havent got around to answering you all, but hopefully you will have caught up with it all...........

6 comments:

Lorna Goodban said...

Keeping everything crossed for Mindy x x

nellie-bean's blog said...

Angela - I have just read your blogs - this one and the last one. I am so sorry I hadn't read the previous one til now. I do really hope the wee girl is feeling better in herself now????? Thinking of you, Ian and Mindy xxx
(I don't know if this message will work - here's to hoping the glitch is sorted)

nellie-bean's blog said...

Hoorah - it looks like my message has gone through...xxxx

Angela said...

Thanks guys, waiting to hear whether I can pick her up today....
how did you sort your glitch, as I still cant comment on some blogs!

nellie-bean's blog said...

I didn't do anything. I just let it sort itself.....I still haven't tried the ones I had tried before and I think it may be localised to theirs...Here's hoping for good news today for you xx

Hudsondoglets said...

Good news, keep us posted on here and Facebook xx